Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Santa came in the 1940's

In those days we had thin glass windows , the radiators were placed beneath the windows to counteract the drafts through the thin glass.  The steam from the hot water radiator would meet the cold glass and form a frost on the inside of the window.

Many times while watching for Santa, my brother Frank and I would go to the 2 dining room windows and each of us scratched a picture in the frost on the glass, as we tried to see if Santa was visible in the sky yet.  We never found him coming to our house, it was mysterious for a long time, as to how he got in because we did not have a fireplace...I asked and asked, but to no avail.  No one ever revealed how he got in the house.
I listened for him on the roof, but he was too quiet.  One day I found out because I saw the presents in the attic, and was instructed not to spoil it for Frankie my brother, and because I made so much noise about Santa and how I still believed in him,..guess what I got?  A piece of coal from Santa...  But, the magic still lives in my heart when I think of those days and the kind man that distributed gifts to children of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment