Sunday, February 15, 2015

Wow! Michael Feinstein reviews THE B SIDE...by Ben Yagoda. in New York Times Book Review 2/15/2015

What a pleasant surprise, because I happen to think that Michael Feinstein has "it" as a musician.  What a treat to find he had written  a review of this book that talks about the great music we had from the 1920's to the 1950's, which I love and blog about on my other blog, Madlyn Fafard , Lifes a Blast!

The loss of the great music of the past was a combination of the bosses, and the artists, of the time, and I remember the arrogance of some of my friends, which probably reflected the opinion of others.  I happened to love all types of music, and if I said that I loved a country song, I was considered a country bumpkin by my Northeast friends...( back when we were teens), and who would listen to to opera?  Who liked jazz...?
Boogie Woogie was not everyone's cup of tea either.....we all asked for it...!

But, what woke me up back then was Les Paul and his new sound....that is when I finally realized that the piano was on the way out and the guitar was on the way in as the instrument of choice, never dreaming that the piano would never again eclipse the guitar.  ( at least it seems that way)

If you want to know what went on in the music world of those days, and the advent of the 1960's music...which never leaves me either because suddenly, I was caught in the music of the Beatles....at a party one night and I was in love with music again....

If you check my blog there were great singers in the 60's that get little credit, like Don Cherry, he had a wonderful voice, I played his records over and over.... Billy Eckstein was still around, ohhh!  great singing and of course Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughn.... and jazz was catching on more and more, and lives big time today in my world....

Thank you for the review Michael Weinstein....


No comments:

Post a Comment