Thursday, August 15, 2013

Small Town Framingham, Memorial School

Our elementary school was an old grey wooden building, torn down long ago.   In between the classrooms was a hallway with a big soapstone sink.  I will never forget the day that Bernie Cloud swore and the teacher took him into the hallway and washed his mouth out with lye soap!  Oh my gosh!  Even then I knew it was a bad thing to do.

But nothing was as bad as the day Miss Cronin , first grade , put him in the coat room as punishment, and at lunch time when she let him out......oh, my , oh oh....he had eaten all our lunches!  We were totally distressed...no school lunches in those days, no refrigeration available for the school.

Tomatoes melted into the sandwich and I hated that....please Mom, no tomatoes in my sandwich...the bread gets too soaked!

Mayday dances ...were still in vogue.  In the playground  we danced around the maypole... today, I am not sure many know about that old tradition.

I often thought thru the years, how nice it would be to have our children meet the children of our long ago classmates...when they got to be around 18-20 and might feel comfortable doing that....at one of the reunions....bring the family....kind of picnic idea...  Who knows?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment