Sunday, March 17, 2013

Small Town Framingham The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of a New World Order (Council on Foreign Relations Books (Princeton University Press)) (9780691149097): Benn Steil: Books

Amazon.com: The Battle of Bretton Woods: John Maynard Keynes, Harry Dexter White, and the Making of a New World Order (Council on Foreign Relations Books (Princeton University Press)) (9780691149097): Benn Steil: Books

My Mother and Father were discussing this at the kitchen table in 1944, they talked about it being in New Hampshire at the Mount Washington Hotel.  At my age,  (9 years old),I caught the location, the name of the meeting and the fact that everyone was concerned about what was going to come out of the meeting, for our post war monetary policy.  I am not sure where my Dad stood on this eventful meeting, but, I recall his concern, that the loss of the gold standard would cause us great distress in the future.  Dad was always discussing world events with Mom,  I loved to listen and ask questions.

"Money has to be tied to something we can get a grip on, I prefer the gold standard..",  I overheard.  It was at this meeting that the  dollar became the currency that the world would look to in the future

.  Could it be that many of our problems today stem from what happened here at Bretton Woods, I guess I will have to read this interesting book.  Just reading the review in the March 15, 2012 Wall St Journal, which you can get on line is enough to whet your appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment