Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Small Town America Framingham Buddhism

I didn't set out to write an intellectual novel when I wrote, Small Town America Framingham".  On the surface, you will encounter a conversational story of the time as I experienced it.  The result of fear of the 2nd World War on children, and  the emotions I and my family had regarding our loved ones far away fighting in a brutal war.   The questions children ask regarding what is happening around them still remain with me, never far from my thoughts as I watch in the far distant present time the old movies of the war  and read books about our men fighting in what seems  antiquated clothing, ships, tanks, planes, and discuss with the heroes who still live, the horrors of what they endured.  Just revewing my thought illustrates the truth of Buddhism's,  Four Noble Truths

Now, as I read, Buddhism and Science, by  Alan Wallace/editor  I see that I was in reality living the Four Noble Truths.  As explained in this book, by His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama, in his essay, "Understanding and Transforming the Mind".

The Four Noble Truths
1.  addresses the nature of suffering
2.  the origin of suffering
3. cessation, an attribute of consciousness
4. the path to cessation, one that leads to liberation

I was asking the questions....why are we suffering this war, what caused it, why did the whole word get involved?  How would it end, how would we as people of the world liberate ourselves.  The Four Noble Truths, we all must do that, it is part of life to wonder, question and hope to find answers, obviously even children's minds operate in the same way, questioning the truths of reality.

Is there any better proof of how Buddhism can contribute to our growing awareness of what makes up the world and how moment to moment we create the world we live in?

My Mom is not with me any longer.   She would not be able to answer this question I have bothering me now, so I will ask you.  How in the world can our leaders of government justify giving  new jets and tanks to a country, like Egypt, in turmoil and on the verge of Civil War.  Do we truly want to be responsible for the deaths this equipment could cause by a foreign government that can not be responsible for law and order in its own land?

No comments:

Post a Comment