Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Precious Place,memories of Mom and another world


A poem I wrote for my Mom while attending Framingham State College, back in the 1970's, when she was still alive.  When I read it today, I catapulted back to 604 Hollis Street, Framingham , Mass. It captured so many memories for me in just a few lines.  Yes, memories are always there,  those childhood days when I looked out the window to see the coal man putting coal in the shute to the basement coal bin, or the day I saw and realized what a rag man was.  Oh, yes, walking thru a dark ice house in the long ago with my friends....so many memories, I tried to capture in a poem.  My books have poems in them, and both of them will bring you back to a world no longer known.  A glimpse of what life was like just a mere 1/2 Century ago.  How the world has changed!

    
 A Precious Place

Childhood is a precious place
In its closed confines
I still see my Mother's
    Lovely face

"How much do you love me?"
"A bushel and a peck and
A hug around the neck!"

Years are darkening
The sliver of light, yet
The glory lives on
In eternal night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment